Wednesday 24 October 2012

University of Leeds

Firday, 14 September 2012
 
The University of Leeds started life as Leeds School of Medicine in 1831. Later, due to concerns by the wool and textile industries that the rapid development of new technologies in Europe posed a threat to the local cloth trade, the school became the Yorkshire College of Science in 1874.
 
Finally in 1904, after King Edward VII granted the University its own Charter as an independent institution, it became the University of Leeds.
 
My home for the next 12 months...
 
Parkinson Building:
iconic building of the University housing the Brotherton Library, one of several libraries on campus.


Edward Boyle Library:
another one of the University's libraries...one I use most frequently.
Hillary Place:
home to the School of Education...where I have most of my classes.


Baines Wing:
the 'prettier' route from Parkinson Building to the Union.
The Great Hall:
part of the University that dates back to the 1870s.


Leeds University Union:
everything students need under-one-roof. Cafeteria, cafes, mini-mart, bank, pub (yeah!), hairdresser, optician...you name it. There's even a disco on Friday nights!


The little oasis of greenery between the Union building and Charles Morris Hall. Early morning on weekends, there are squirrels scampering near the trees...nice.
Charles Morris Hall:
my hall of residence...catering included (thank god!)


My humble abode:
small but cosy...and yes! it is usually neat.


The view of Parkinson Building from my room...if I stick my neck out far enough and look sharply to the left.
 
The campus is of course way bigger that what I had shared, with lots more interesting places and buildings. The sampling happens to represent my 'entire universe' at the moment. Well...on weekdays at least.
 
Should anyone be keen to find out more about the University, here's the link:
http://www.leeds.ac.uk/

No comments:

Post a Comment