Wednesday 24 October 2012

Stratford-upon-Avon

Saturday, 29 September 2012
 
On another one of many Leeds University Union "Give it a Go" trips, I visited the beautiful town of Stratford-upon-Avon, birthplace of...Bill.

Bill who? Bill the Bard...William Shakespeare.


The Gower Memorial:
presented to the town by Lord Ronald Gower in 1888, in appreciation of Shakespeare.



Located along the bank of River Avon...the beautiful and serene Bancroft Gardens.
On a Saturday, the gardens is busy with visitors. Very fittingly, there are buskers entertaining with music. I sat here for almost an hour enjoying a leisurely lunch, listening to a man playing on the electric violin...poetic.
The pedestrian friendly streets of the town, resplendent with traditional English buildings and shops.
The entrance to Shakespeare's birthplace.
























Bought these books at the gift shops. Sad to say, these are the only works of Shakespeare I had read...and only because I did English literature in secondary school and they were among the set text. 










The place where it all began...



Tricked you didn't I? No...then you are probably too cynical for your own good : )




















                                                                                                                                                          
Confession: I stood outside Shakespeare's birthplace contemplating if I should spend £12.50 to see a 16th Century house... I decided that if I'm willing to spend £50 to see Manchester United play, I can afford the dozen quid to go in.

For a person who does not particularly have leanings towards things 'cultural', I have to admit I rather enjoyed the visit to Stratford-upon-Avon, Shakespeare birthplace included.

Somehow, for me, the town of Stratford-upon-Avon embodies what English towns should be like...traditional, warm and a little laid back.


No comments:

Post a Comment