Wednesday 24 October 2012

Scarborough

Sunday, 16 September 2012
 
I visited Scarborough on my first weekend at the University. It was organised by the University Union. Aimed at giving students the opportunity to see more of the country, the Union puts together regular weekend day trips to various places of interest throughout the UK as part of its "Give it a Go" series.
 
I'm a self-confessed 'Union trip junkie'...I NEVER miss one if I can help it. Period.
I'm here alone, more than 14,000km away from family and friends...what else is there to do on a Saturday?
 
Anyway, Scaborough is a seaside town on the coast of North Yorkshire about 2 hours by bus from Leeds... 

 
The more peaceful North Bay, on the way up to the castle.


South Bay, from the castle.
(You can see the pier on the left of the picture. There'll be a 'reverse' photo from the pier later)
And finally...Scaborough Castle, or more precisely...the ruins of Scarborough Castle.


The castle was built by Henry II in the 1150s.


Another view of the castle.
Trying my hand at being 'artistic'. Successful?...you be the judge.
 The castle viewed from the pier.
(The 'reverse' photo mentioned previously)


The busy South Bay with its cafes, amusement arcades, theatres and entertainment facilities.
At the top of the hill, you can just about see St. Mary's Church, where English writer Anne Bronte is laid to rest in 1849.








The serene and stately interior of St. Mary's Church.
It's an ideal place to seek respite from the chilling winds outside and have a cup of afternoon tea...oh lovely, how very English!




The Grand Hotel seen from the pier.

The only thing significantly missing from the series of photos I had taken...Fish & Chips!
 
Due to its coastal locale, Scarborough is known for its fresh fish & chips. There's even a Harry Ramden's at Scarborough. For those of you 'old' enough to remember, there used to be a Harry Ramsden's Singapore at Kallang in the late 90s. It was just behind the MacDonalds/KFC drive-through. When I was still teaching at, now defunct, MINDS Guillemard Gardens School, I used to go there for late lunches after work...when the place would be deserted...and seats aplenty...such nostalgia, sigh.

Anyway, I did have fish & chips in Scarborough, but it wasn't at Harry Ramden's...because by the time I spotted my old buddy, Harry...I had already 'whacked' a large portion elsewhere. There'll be another time Harry...there'll be another time.

Maybe it's just me...the ones in Harry Ramsden's Kallang tasted better.

No comments:

Post a Comment